DIH TECHNICOM (organisation unit of the University Science Park TECHNICOM) DIH TECHNICOM pri Technickej univerzite v Košiciach
You need an EU Login account for request proposals for editions or creations of new hubs. If you already have an ECAS account, you don't have to create a new EU Login account.
In EU Login, your credentials and personal data remain unchanged. You can still access the same services and applications as before. You just need to use your e-mail address for logging in.
If you don't have an EU Login account please use the following link. you can create one by clicking on the Create an account hyperlink.
If you already have a user account for EU Login please login via https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/cas/login
University Science Park TECHNICOM on behalf of the Technical University of Košice
Nemcovej 5, 042 00, KOSICE (Slovakia)
The DIH TECHNICOM is a Regional Industrial DIH established as a specific (nonprofit) workplace of the University Science Park TECHNICOM (USP), which is a university-wide organizational nonprofit unit of the Technical University of Košice (TUKE). The USP is an Innovation and Technology transfer HUB at TUKE orienting on areas within the scope of research and educational competencies of TUKE. In line with this focus, the USP represented TUKE in the H2020 MIDIH project (Manufacturing Industry Digital Innovation Hubs / 2017-2020). In accordance with the mission, results, and products of the MIDIH project, the Regional Industrial DIH began to actively operate and gradually develop in the UVP environment (from 01.2018), and it was officially open as the DIH TECHNICOM (DIH) at 25. August 2020.
The declared background and organizational position of the DIH enable it to make full use of the innovative potential of the USP ecosystem and adequate access to the R&D ecosystem of the university. The DIH, in line with its orientation and USP mission, provides a "one-stop-shop” and "one-stop-shop marketplace" services aimed at:
- Raising awareness of the importance of the development and implementation of relevant concepts of the I4.0 strategy.
- Accelerating efficient implementation of digital transformation at the application of smart innovation in the relevant industrial production areas.
In this sense, DIH services support a collaborative approach as:
-Transfer and application results of R&D in practice;
-Ensuring access to technology, business, and knowledge support for research, development, and innovation industrial projects, and activities of its clients.
Relevant ICT, training, and “smart” business services aimed at supporting the development of SMEs are very successful and have a strong link to the "Start-up" and "Spin-off" projects under the "TUKE Business Acceleration Program" provided by USP since 2014. All activities support national, European, and international cooperation aimed at developing solutions for the state-of-the-art concepts of "smart" I4.0 strategies, to which accessible assets and platforms of the MIDIH ecosystem makes a significant contribution.
The DIH has active collaboration with the Prototyping and Innovation Centre (PaIC), which is a partner workshop of USP, allocated at the Mechanical Engineering Faculty. PaIC ensuring the active performance of the Robotic DIH (http://roboticshub.sk/en/) guarantee by the TUKE, whose development is supporting by the H2020-RIMA project “Robotics for Infrastructure Inspection and Maintenance”. Similarly, the corresponding local AI Department at the TUKE in the H2020-AI4EU project “A European AI on Demand Platform and Ecosystem” With the support of the project, the “Slovak AI meetup” platform was created. The close cooperation between the presented three innovation institutes significantly supports the European dimension, multidisciplinary, and holistic approach of DIH activities at the TUKE environment.
DIH TECHNICOM je regionálny priemyselný DIH na TUKE (Technická univerzita v Košiciach) a je zriadený ako neziskové pracovisko Univerzitného vedeckého parku TECHNICOM (UVP) pri TUKE. UVP je celouniverzitná nezisková organizačná jednotka TUKE vytvorená ako Centrum / HUB pre inovácie a transfer technológ v priestore vedeckej a pedagogickej pôsobnosti ekosystému univerzity. Preto v H2020 projekte MIDIH ( Manufacturing Industry Digital Innovation Hubs / 2017-2020) bola TUKE zastúpená UVP. V súlade s poslaním, výsledkami a produktami projektu MIDIH začal (od 01.2018) v prostredí UVP aktívne pôsobiť a postupne sa rozvíjať Regionálny priemyselný DIH, ktorý bol, ako DIH TECHNICOM (DIH) , oficiálne otvorený 25. augusta, 2020.
Pozadie a organizačné postavenie DIH umožňuje plne využívať inovačný potenciál ekosystému UVP a pri realizácii svojich činností a služieb má adekvátny prístup k univerzitnému ekosystému pre výskum a vývoj. V tejto pozícii, v súlade so svojím poslaním, poskytuje služby typu „one-stop-shop“ a „one-stop-shop marketplace“ zamerané na:
- Zvyšovanie povedomia o dôležitosti rozvoja a implementácie konceptov stratégie I4.0;
- Akceleráciu a podporu inteligentných „digitálnych“ inovácií v priemyselných oblastiach, ktoré patria do oblastí hlavných kompetencií TUKE v oblasti výskumu a vývoja.
V tomto zmysle, DIH svojimi službami podporuje spoluprácu pri:
- Prenose a aplikácií výsledkov výskumu a vývoja do praxe;
-Zabezpečenie prístupu k technológiám, procesným a znalostným riešeniam pre výskumné, vývojové, inovačné priemyselné projekty a aktivity svojich klientov.
Služby v oblasti: IKT, odbornej príprave, a v „smart“ výrobe a podnikaní, zamerané na podporu rozvoja malých a stredných podnikov (MSP) sú veľmi úspešné a úzko súvisia s iniciatívou pre „Start-up“ a „Spin‑off“ projekty v rámci „Programu akcelerácie podnikania na TUKE / PAP“ , ktorý poskytuje UVP TECHNICOM od roku 2014. Všetky aktivity podporujú národnú, európsku a medzinárodnú spoluprácu zameranú na vývoj riešení, ktoré využívajú najmodernejšie koncepty „inteligentných“ stratégií I4.0, pre ktoré predstavuje významný príspevok aj podpora z ekosystému projektu MIDIH.
DIH aktívne spolupracuje s Prototypovým a inovačným centrom (PaIC; http://www.sjf.tuke.sk/paic/), ide o partnerské centrum UVP nachádzajúce sa Strojníckej fakulte. PaIC zabezpečuje prevádzku „Robotics DIHu“ na TUKE (http://roboticshub.sk/en/) ktorého rozvoj je v súčasnosti podporovaný H2020 projektom RIMA, 824990 „Robotics for Infrastructure Inspection and Maintenance“. Obdobne je TUKE zastúpená, Katedrou kybernetiky a umelej inteligencie na Fakulte elektrotechniky a informatiky v H2020 projekte AI4EU, 825619 „A European AI on Demand Platform and Ecosystem“. S podporou uvedeného projektu bola vytvorená „Slovak AI meetup“ platforma podporujúca diskusiu a publicitu k relevantným problémom umelej inteligencie na Slovensku
Úzka spolupráca medzi uvedenými tromi digitálne zameranými inovačnými centrami významne podporuje európsky rozmer pre multidisciplinárny a holistický prístup k DIH aktivitám v prostredí TUKE.
Link to national or regional initiatives for digitising industry
At the European level, the creation of DIH (supported by the H2020 MIDIH project) at TUKE initially has been presented by the following document:
USP TECHNICOM (USP) is a university-wide nonprofit institution, in nature, it is an innovative HUB and has been created through a special-purpose project financially supported by EU structural funds in the years 2012-2017. Strategic the goal of the project (mission): „To build the USP TECHNICOM as an internationally recognized innovation HUB for applied research, innovation and technology transfer in the field of innovative applications supported by the smart technologies”. The State-of-the-Art applied R&D at the USP is supported by adequate “Centers for excellent research” at the TUKE active in the following five scientific areas:
- Information and communication technologies;
- Electrical engineering, automation, and control systems;
- Mechanical engineering ;
- Civil engineering (construction, transport, geodesy);
- Environmental engineering (including mining, metallurgy, water management …).
Considering the stated mission and the period of project implementation, the orientation of its R&D and Innovation (RDI) activities was formed based on thematic priority 2 "ICT" declared in the Research and Innovation Smart Specialization Strategy in Slovakia (RIS3SK / versions from the end of 2012 and 2013). The content of RDI is corresponding to the areas identified by the sub-themes: "Technological infrastructure of digital space (cyberspace)" and "Interdisciplinary application of ICT" and their links to the relevant economic and perspective specialization. Their content focus had clear links to the thematic orientation of the corresponding ICTs activities of DIH.
DIH has been gradually developed in the environment of the H2020 MIDIH project from January 2018 until August 2020, in the USP TECHNICOM (USP) environment as the Regional Industrial DIH. During this period, the development of its focus has been formed, as well in accordance with the Implementation Plan RIS3 SK (IP RIS3SK), published in 2017. IP RIS3SK defines the priorities of intelligent specialization, divided into 5 domains, from these the predominant domain for the development of DIH is the "Digital Slovakia and the Creative Industry". The main research trends are "Industry 4.0" and "Digital Technologies for Society" in the domain. Topics of R&D specified in the trends are fully compatible with the thematic orientation of the MIDIH project.
The national project "Extensions for efficient exploitation / E4EE" guaranteed active interaction with H2020 projects and is a great contribution to the further development of both the DIH and USP functionality. The E4EE project is coordinated at the USP by the team from its DIH. The project aim is to support the use and further develop the results and products of H2020 projects in which the TUKE has been actively participating. The solution of the project is supported by Structural Funds of the EU by the specific call of the OP "research and innovation" aimed to support the Slovak participation in the research and innovation H2020 projects. The E4EE is solving from September 2020 until August 2022 and supports the efficient exploitation of seven selected H2020 projects:
- MIDIH (767498/2017-2020); „Manufacturing Industry Digital Innovation HUBs (for Industry 4.0)“; H2020-FOF-2017 (ICT), IA (Innovation Activities);
- PICASO (689209/ 2016-2019); „A Personalised Integrated Care Approach for Service Organisations and Care Models for Patients with Multi-Morbidity and Chronic Conditions“; H2020-PHC-2015; RIA (Research and Innovation Actions;
- MONSOON (723650 / 2016-2019); „Model-based control framework for Site-wide optimization of data-intensive processes“; H2020-SPIRE-2016; RIA;
- PLUGGY (726765 / 2016-2019); Pluggable Social Platform for Heritage Awareness and Participation; H2020-SC6-CULT-COOP-2016; RIA;
- RIMA (824990 / 2019-2021); „Robotics for Infrastructure Inspection and Maintenance“; H2020-DT-2018-1; RIA;
- LessThanWagonLoad (723274-1 / 2017-2020); Development of ‘Less than Wagon Load’ transport solutions in the Antwerp Chemical cluster; H2020-MG-2016-2017; H2020, RIA;
- CHROMIC (730471/ 2016-2020); Efficient mineral processing and Hydrometallurgical Recovery of by-product Metals from low-grade metal-containing secondary raw materials; H2020-SC5-2016-OneStage B; RIA;
It is worth mentioning the participation in the European research projects such as projects under the 6th and 7th Framework Program and now Horizon 2020, specific COST program and the program "Coal and Steel (C&S), etc. In this regard, the TUKE is one of the most successful institutes in the Slovak Republic. Under FP7 (including CIP program) the TUKE successfully participated in 26 research projects (2 projects are C&S and 3 COST), 12 of them are in the field of ICT. Their contend focus had clear links to the thematic orientation of the corresponding ICT (including I4MS initiation) and FoF calls under the H2020 Programme. Currently, the TUKE researchers are involved in 6 COST activities and 15 H2020 projects. (See also https://www.uvptechnicom.sk/en/projects/ )
Market and Services
- Mining and quarrying
- Energy and utilities
- Transport and logistics
- Life sciences & healthcare
- Community, social and personal service activities
- Manufacture of wood and wood products
- Manufacture of other non-metallic mineral products
- Manufacture of basic metals and fabricated metal products
- Manufacture of machinery and equipment
- Manufacture of electrical and optical equipment
- Manufacture of transport equipment
- Other Manufacturing
- Financial services
- TRL6 - System/subsystem model or prototype demonstration in a relevant environment
- Awareness creation
- Ecosystem building, scouting, brokerage, networking
- Collaborative Researchs
- Concept validation and prototyping
- Testing and validation
- Digital Maturity Assessment
- Incubator/accelerator support
- Voice of the customer, product consortia
- Access to Funding and Investor Readiness Services
- Education and skills development
Example 1- improving the productivity of the production process
Client profile: Technology provider: RE-CA (Start-up SME) https://re-ca.com/ - The main goal is the development and implementation of CPS/IoT based end-to-end customized systems for monitoring, control, alerting, and efficient workforce allocation in industrial production.
Technology end-user / SME- Lekos s.r.o. http://lekos.sk/: The focus is on the design and manufacturing of specialized machines and appliances for the food industry-focused mainly on confectionery and pastry.
Customers (end-user) needs: After realized project (“first phase” of the digital transformation): Moving to paperless management, effective and precise workforce and resource planning their tracking and allocation are key steps of the transformation process that has developed interesting progress in productivity.
Provided solution to meet the customer needs:
After realization of this “first phase” of the digital transformation (DT) project, the Customer Manufacturing Company (End-user) acquired:
- Minimum "paper" documentation in the production process;
- A better understanding of employee utilization;
- More efficient use of machines;
- Ability to identify and optimized weak points, bottlenecks, and critical items in the manufacturing process.
Successful implementation increased verified key performance and key result indicators on average by 15%. It has been achieved through the improved throughput and productivity of the production process, as all resources have much better utilization.
NOTE: The implementation of the “First phase of DT project” in the middle of 2020, activates a contract for the second phase DT project at the SME Lekos.
More details: https://dihtechnicom.tuke.sk/#successstory
Examples – Introduction
As stated in the introductory description, DIH TECHNICOM is the specific workplace of the University Science Park TECHNICOM (USP) and supports, in the dedicated areas, the development of an innovative USP ecosystem in accordance with the mission of TUKE. Therefore, within its scope, DIH TECHNICOM also plays a significant role in the training and supervision of the relevant "start-up" and "spin-off" companies involved in the TUKE Business Acceleration Program. Therefore, three successful "technology provider" SMEs from this program are presented below and it is about companies: RE-CA s.r.o. (Start-up, SME); CEELABS s.r.o., (Spin-off, SME) and Innovates s.r.o. (Start-up, SME). These companies, with the appropriate support of DIH Technicom, have implemented successful projects in the field of digital transformation in customers’ companies, for example, the "Migration Model" and the "Customer Path Model" that inspired their solutions were developed within the H2020 MIDIH project to support the effective implementation of the "digital transformation" in the "End User" environment.
Services, provided by the DIH TECHNICOM, in the following three examples are aiming particularly at:
- Overcoming blocking points on a “customer journey” that interfere with the efficient solution of the “end-user” client´s I4.0 concepts implementation. These problems are often associated with required additional contracting research during the solution or the need for specific training for “end-user” clients and so on.
- Providing (moderate) support for these requirements through the relevant professional workplaces at TUKE, or at the workplaces of partner research and development institutions that are members of the USP TECHNICOM innovative ecosystem.
- If necessary, the appropriate products, from the MIDIH project ecosystem, or the services from European and international innovation and research ecosystems in which the TUKE is a member through the USP TECHNICOM, which has been provided.
- Supporting successful finalization of the solution of the contracted project to the customer by delivering the required products and services.
Example 2 – “Smart metering”
Client profile /Technology provider: – CEELABS s.r.o., (Spin-Off” SME) https://merito.tech; Research and development in the field of smart metering and Artificial Intelligence (AI). Implementation of customized IoT based power meter for households and companies with cloud-based analytics.
Customers (Technology end-users):
Companies from the energy sector:
- Eastern Slovak distribution company, (http://vsds.sk).
- Applied Precision Ltd./ SME . (https://www.appliedp.com/ )
The company from telecommunication sectors: -
- AmiNet, s.r.o. (Local ISP, SME) https://aminet.sk/.
Customers needs (Adapted to all listed customers/clients): Savings in electricity consumptions, cost-saving on energy, and reduction of CO2. With exact data from smart metering with high granularity there is potential for new services as predictions in maintenance, non-standard situations detections, automatic actions based on pre-defined conditions in power consumption. - Investments in smart metering allow preventing sanctions in case of exceeding the agreed capacity of energy consumption. The introduction of artificial intelligence and machine learning brings a new perspective on information, predicts costs, and identifies non-standard changes in the consumption of individual devices.
Specification of needs and solutions for the above clients:
- Eastern Slovak Distribution Company: Providing software solutions for gathering data from smart meters within core distribution infrastructure and processing of its data into specified cloud infrastructure for further analytics.
- Applied Precision Ltd.: Development of software cloud service and AI for HW kit (Multifunction portable signal source) laboratory meter & power generator).
- AmiNet, s.r.o. (Local ISP): Integration of cloud service for monitoring and analysis of energy data for peering centers and local HW (computers, servers, and networking devices) infrastructure.
Example 3 - cyber-security technologies for DT
Client profile / Technology provider: Innovates s.r.o. (Start-up, SME), https://innovates.sk/ - Development and deployment cyber-security technologies, processes, and other solutions targeted on introducing new or enhancing security controls. The solutions are applied as an integrated component of digital transformation (DT) for active or developing CPS/ IoT manufacturing systems, or in supporting services.
Customers / Technology end-users:
Agriculture and food area:
Lincoln Premium Poultry Ltd., Industrial Freemont, Nebraska,
ICT in business process services:
DXC (HPE) Business Exchange Services
SPSE Prešov (Secondary School of Electrical Engineering in
Client needs (Adapted to all listed customers/clients): Due to the high rate of cyber-attacks and limited visibility of the current security state, companies or public institutions contact Innovates co. in order to assist them to raise the security awareness and introduce different metrics to meet the required compliance. These activities are also commonly associated with identifying, assessing, and controlling risks in the context of corporate risk management.
Specification of needs and solutions for the above clients:
- Lincoln Premium Poultry Ltd., Industrial Freemont, Nebraska: The “green-field” project - establish complete security layers over the production environment in three-building, hatchery, feed mill, and processing plants. The creation of a new user tracking solution to prevent inside threats. Integration with third-party solutions of advanced threat protection.
- DXC (HPE) Business Exchange Services: Development of internal policies and protocols used in internal automated tools. These tools monitor and validate the production environment for configuration compliance. Additionally providing various consulting services for DXC clients for various security-related topics and implementations with these tools.
- SPSE Prešov: Establish Wi-Fi connectivity with multiple layers of user-access levels, using existing user database with self-service portal interconnected with other existing platforms. All in compliance with GDPR directive.
More details: https://dihtechnicom.tuke.sk/#successstory
(part of) Public organization (part of RTO, or university)
Number of employees
- Horizon 2020
- European Social Fund
- European Regional Development Fund
- National basic research funding
- National specific innovation funding
- Regional funding
- Private funding
Number of customers annually
Type of customers
- Start-up companies
- SMEs (<250 employees)
- MidCaps (between €2-10 billion turnover)
- Large companies, multi-nationals
- Research organisations
Slovak Akademy of Science - five relevant Institutes
Research & Technology organization
University of P. J. Šafarik - Faculty of the Science
University of Prešov, Faculty of Humanities and Natural Sciences
BUDAPEST UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY AND ECONOMICS (BME) Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics
Linköping University (LiU) and LEAD Incubator
Technical University of Ostrava (VSB-TUO) and its IT4Innovations National supercomputing Centre
International Association of Science Parks and Areas of Innovation;
Networked, cluster organization
Kosice IT Valley;
Networked, cluster organization
ITAS – Slovak IT Association;
AT + R cluster;
Networked, cluster organization
Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Chamber of Commerce
The American Chamber of Commerce in Slovakia
Chamber of Commerce
British Chamber of Commerce in Slovakia
Chamber of Commerce
Košice Self - Governing Region (Dpt. of Regional Development);
Prešov Self - Governing Region (Dpt. of Regional Development);
Spinea as. Presov; http://www.spinea.sk/
ZTS VVU as. Kosice;
ANTIK TELECOM, s.r.o.;
U.S. Steel Košice;
T-Systems / Deutsche Telekom IT Solutions Slovakia s.r.o. ;
Saab Technologiesanization/our-global-presence/czech-republic/, s.r.o. https://saabgroup.com/about-company/org
- Micro/nano electronics
- Sensory systems
- Communication networks
- Cyber physical systems
- Internet of things
- Artificial intelligence
- Interaction technologies
- Cyber security
- Big data, data analytics, data handling
- Virtual, augmented and extended reality
- Simulation, modelling and digital twins
- Software as a service and service architectures
- Cloud computing
- Additive manufacturing
- Internet services
Manufacturing Industry Digital Innovation HubsManufacturing Industry Digital Innovation Hubs
VISION: By 2023, Europe will set the reference for the Industry 4.0 market: European CPS/IOT Open Digital Platforms providers will be able to flexibly and dynamically connect the Real World with digital Enterprise Systems through common open standards; European ICT SMEs will be growing fast through leadership in data-driven smart Industry 4.0 services; European Manufacturing SMEs will successfully compete globally with innovative products and services, digitised Industry 4.0 processes and innovative business models, involving their workforce at all levels in this Digital Transformation innovations.
MISSION. The MIDIH 4.0 project aims at implementing the fast, dynamic, borderless, disruptive side of the I4MS innovation coin: technological services (interactive try-on demos, webinars, challenges, hackathons and awards) will be driven by young and dynamic ICT talents virtually meeting older and experienced manufacturing engineers in a one-stop-shop global marketplace; business services (ideas incubation, business acceleration, demand-offer matchmaking and brokerage, access to finance) will support SMEs, startups, web entrepreneurs as well as corporates in the delivery of innovative products and services, in accessing new markets, in fund-raising; skills building services (serious and role games, participative lessons and webinars, virtual experiments in physical teaching factories, professional courses for existing technicians as well as for executives) will not only help SMEs and corporates understand the new technologies, but also take full advantage of them, providing an operational framework that will stimulate trust, confidence and investments.
The MIDIH project is an inclusive Innovation Action of 21 beneficiaries coming from 12 EU Countries, including, Competence Centers, Digital Innovation Hubs, CPS/IOT Technology Providers as well as Lighthouse Manufacturing Industries. A two-iteration Open Call will help achieve a critical mass of cross-border experiments.